Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Shop 52 Denver - Eleven: {Tattered Cover}

Hello there! It's time for our next stop on the Shop 52 Denver tour! Today we're visiting a very charming book shop called Tattered Cover. They have three locations in the Denver area, but the one in Historic LoDo is my favorite! It's housed within the restored Morey Mercantile Building. The combination of the beauty of this old building, its antique furniture, wooden shelves loaded with books, and a tea/coffee shop make Tattered Cover a very special place. On rainy days or lazy Sunday mornings my husband and I LOVE to take a little field trip to Denver to hang out here. We buy some tea/coffee, grab a seat among the bookshelves and read or browse through magazines. I've always felt like there's something so comforting about being surrounded by shelves full of books.


Here's what you see upon entering the shop. LOVE the remnants of the old warehouse---the beamed ceilings, the hanging lights, the old hardware, the old wooden floors, the exposed brick walls.


There's plenty of seating throughout the two-story shop---antique tables and chairs, overstuffed chairs, and sofas invite you to relax for a bit.


When I took these photos (last Saturday), Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman, was visiting Tattered Cover!!! She held a short question and answer session and then autographed copies of her books. Unfortunately I didn't know about this until we walked into the shop and by then there were already well over 250 people in line and the event room could only seat 244. But, the shop was kind enough to hook Ree's microphone up to the shop's speaker system, so we could listen in on what she was saying.

This section of books is all about Colorado and the west. Don't you LOVE how they include the cowboy boots, old ranch sign, and historic photographs as part of their display?!?


Tattered Cover frequently hosts author talks, book signings, and other events free of charge. This display shows Ree's new book and the February Calendar of Events, which is also available on-line.


The shop also has a wonderful children's section. Here's the entrance:


A closer look at the entrance (lovin' the exposed brick) and the life-sized Judy Moody:


Here's a cozy little seating area within the children's section. Such a great spot for kids to spread out and browse through books or for adults to spend some time reading with their kiddos.


Another part of the children's section:


And check out these old school desks! The book sitting on top of this desk is one that I purchased for my friend who is due to have her first baby in April. It's called Little Hoot, and it's a really clever story with fantastic illustrations!


Shelves and shelves full of books.


I'm an avid reader, and there are so many books on these shelves that I've added to my reading list!


And look who I found among the cookbooks!!




I hope you enjoyed our little peek into this fabulous book shop! Leave me a comment and let me know what you liked the most. I love hearing your feedback!

At the end of February I'll be having another GIVEAWAY!!! Your name will be entered one time for each comment you've left me on my Shop 52 Denver posts this month! That means if you leave a comment on each of my Shop 52 Denver posts for February, you'll have FOUR chances to win! YAY! The prize will be something SUPER FUN from one of the shops we've visited along our Shop 52 Denver adventure!

Thanks for stopping by today!




7 comments:

Brandi said...

Lisa,
I just love these posts that you do. This bookstore looks so cozy. The hubby and I do the same thing (buy coffee and read the magazines)at our local bookstore. It is so relaxing. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love to read and enjoy an old bookstore - the ones in a refurbished building like this can't hold a candle to the chain stores. Makes me want to curl up in a chair with a cup of tea and escape into my favorite book! Thanks for sharing!

Ayana Posadas said...

Oh, I love bookstores! I can hang out in one for hours. This one looks so cozy and fun. I sure wish I had the chance to visit.

Laurie Chilton said...

Okay..... I've made up my mind. I want to move to Denver. This place looks awesome! Thanks for sharing Lisa. :)

~Tammy~ said...

How very charming! I love the name of the bookstore! Way cool is the exposed brick! The Children's section is delightful and my son would love it! Thanks for sharing this little gem with the rest of the world!

Ruby said...

I love reading about your little shops, they all look fabulous! They make me want to move there. I just adore book shops so loved the whole post!

Kim Ross said...

What a cool, cool store! I'll have to stop there next time I'm in the area visiting my sister & her family. Fun!